I am actively involved in research in my current job in Aberdeen, I am a co-investigator on 3 PhD projects assessing new techniques on MRI Spectrophotometry and have one future studentship application as a co-supervisor. We finished recruiting the first study of 2 of the PhD projects. I have few research and student she grants with my colleagues that are worth more than £100,000 over the past 3 years. Also I am recruiting for another project looking into serotonin as a potential radio tracer for PET CT in breast cancer and also started getting involved in the research on Fast Field Cycling MRI scan.
In the last 2 years I have managed to include aberdeen in 4 National audits across The UK and 1 Pan-Scotland Audit. The National audits are the national margins audit looking at positive margins and re-excision rates, across the UK. The IBRA-2 study which looks at the mastectomies with or without reconstruction assessing complications and outcomes. Also the TEAM study which looks at Therapeutic Mammoplasties and recently we have joined the NeST study which looks at Neoadjuvant treatments in breast cancer across the UK. The pan Scotland Audit is also looking at Mammoplasties and different practices in Scotland, data collection is complete for all these with some abstracts published waiting for the papers. Also i am the named local surgeon for the PRIMETIME trial which is a UK trial looking at Radiotherapy avoidance after breast conserving surgery in T1 good prognosis tumours.
I have been always keen to be involved in research during my surgical training. During my basic surgical training I completed an extracurricular post graduate diploma in wound healing at the University of Wales that increased my understanding of research. Following that I decided to start a research job towards a Doctorate (MD) to be more involved in research. During the first few month of the MD at Leeds University I also enrolled in a postgraduate certificate programme in health research which I have also completed successfully. The MD projects was an investigation into the biological effects of the dyes used in sentinel node biopsy on the breast epithelium. This lab based project looked at the effects of different dyes on immunohistochemical analysis of various receptors, DNA damaging effects of the dyes using the COMET assay and toxicity and apoptosis assays. I lead a national project on PLCIS along with Pathology and Oncology Colleagues from Across the UK to include, Guy’s and St Thomas’s, UCL, Kings College, Leeds, Birmingham etc… which has been published in the Breast as the largest cohort on the literature.
I have more than 20 publications and have been a reviewer for few Journals to include, The Breast, the Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging, Breast Disease and European Journal of Cancer Care. I am currently designing an educational website on breast surgery www.ibreastbook.com and www.oncoplasticsurgeons.com with colleague from the UK. I am designing the website myself, editing some of the videos for the authors and arranging for the text and video content to be added online.
1. Senn N, Masannat Y, Husain E, Siow B, Heys SD, He J. Q-space imaging yields a higher effect gradient to assess cellularity than conventional diffusion weighted imaging methods at 3T: A pilot study using freshly excised whole breast tumors (2019). Accepted in Radiology: Imaging Cancer.
2. Mallikourti V, Cheung SM, Gagliardi T, Masannat Y, Heys SD, He J. Optimal Phased-Array Signal Combination For Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Measurement In Breast Cancer Using Multiple Quantum Coherence MR Spectroscopy At 3T. Sci Rep. (2019) Jun 25;9(1):9259.
2. Laszlo Romics, E. Jane Macaskill, Teresa Fernandez, Louise Simpson, Elizabeth Morrow, Vassilis Pitsinis, Sian Tovey, Matthew Barber, Yazan Masannat, Sheila Stallard, Eva Weiler-Mithoff, Andrew Malyon, James Mansell, Esther J. Campbell, Julie Doughty, J. Michael Dixon. A population-based audit of surgical practice and outcomes of oncoplastic breast conservations in Scotland – an analysis of 589 patients (2018). Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018 Jul;44(7):939-944. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2018.04.004. Epub 2018 Apr 13.
3. Masannat Y, Husein E, Roylance R, Heys SD, Carder PJ, Ali H, Maurice Y, Pinder SE, Sawyer E, Shaaban AM. Pleomorphic LCIS what do we know? A UK multicenter audit of pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ (2018). The Breast. 38:120-124
4. Tang SS, Kaptanis S, Haddow JB, Mondani G, Elsberger B, Tasoulis MK, Obondo C, Johns N, Ismail W, Syed A, Kissias P, Venn M, Sundaramoorthy S, Irwin G, Sami AS, Elfadl D, Baggaley A, Remoundos DD, Langlands F, Charalampoudis P, Barber Z, Hamilton-Burke WLS, Khan A, Sirianni C, Merker LAG, Saha S, Lane RA, Chopra S, Dupré S, Manning AT, St John ER, Musbahi A, Dlamini N, McArdle CL, Wright C, Murphy JO, Aggarwal R, Dordea M, Bosch K, Egbeare D, Osman H, Tayeh S, Razi F, Iqbal J, Ledwidge SFC, Albert V, MasannatY. Current margin practice and effect on re-excision rates following the publication of the SSO-ASTRO consensus and ABS consensus guidelines: a national prospective study of 2858 women undergoing breast-conserving therapy in the UK and Ireland. Eur J Cancer (2017) Oct;84:315-324.
5. Abdalla S, Savag L, Masannat Y, Pinder S.E., Fentiman I.S. and Hamed H (2014). Pathological Nipple Discharge. OAJ Sci Tech. Volume 2 (2014), ID 101037
6. Masannat Y, Hanby A, Horgan K, Hardie L(2009). DNA Damaging Effects of the Dyes Used in Sentinel Node Biopsy: Possible Implications for Clinical Practice. Journal of Surgical Research. 15;154(2):234-8.
7. Moawad M, Masannat Y, Alhamadani A, Gibbons C (2008). Nerve injury in lower limb vascular surgery. The Surgeon 6(1):32-35.
8. Masannat Y, Shaaban A, Speirs V, Coast G, Jackson P, Horgan K, Hanby A (2007). Adverse effects of dyes used in sentinel node biopsy on immunohistochemical determination of hormone receptors in breast cancer cells. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 60:730-732.
Trialist Group, Collaborator
1- O'Connell RL, Rattay T, Dave RV, Trickey A, Skillman J, Barnes NLP, Gardiner M, Harnett A, Potter S, Holcombe C; iBRA-2 Steering Group; Breast Reconstruction Research Collaborative. The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the time to delivery of adjuvant therapy: the iBRA-2 study.
Br J Cancer. 2019 Apr;120(9):883-895. doi: 10.1038/s41416-019-0438-1. Epub 2019 Mar 29.
2- O’Connell RL, Baker, E, Trickey A, Rattay T, Whisker L, Macmillan RD, Potter S, TeaM Steerimng Group and the Mammary Fold Academic and Research Collaborative (2018).Current practice and short term outcomes of therapeutic mammaplasty in the international TeaM multicentre prospective cohort study. Br J Surg. 2018 Dec;105(13):1778-1792. doi: 10.1002/bjs.10959. Epub 2018 Aug 22.
3- Douek M, Klaase J, Monypenny I, Kothari A, Zechmeister K, Brown D, Wyld L, Drew P, Garmo H, Agbaje O, Pankhurst Q, Anninga B, Grootendorst M, Ten Haken B, Hall-Craggs MA, Purushotham A, Pinder S; SentiMAG Trialists Group (2014). Sentinel Node Biopsy Using a Magnetic Tracer Versus Standard Technique: The SentiMAG Multicentre Trial. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 21(4):1237-45
Literature Reviews, Editorials and Communications
1. Masannat Y, Bains S, Pinder S, Purushotham A (2013). Challenges in the Management of Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast. The Breast. 22(2):194-196
2. Masannat Y, Fentiman I (2012). Editorial: γ-glutamyl transferase and risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Management. 1(1):9-11
3. Hussain A,Masannat YA, Al-Musawy H, Sinha P (2011). Letter to the Editor: Conversion after Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in England. Surgical Endoscopy. 25(2):668
4. Masannat Y, Harron M, Harinath G (2010). Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs Associated Colopathy. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 80(1):96-99
5. Shenoy HG, Peter MB, Masannat YA, Dall BJ, Dodwell D, Horgan K (2009). Practical advice on clinical decision making during neoadjuvant chemotherapy for primary breast cancer. Surgical Oncology. 18(1):65-71.
6. Masannat Y, Masannat Y, Al-Shatnawei A (2006). Review article: Gallstone ileus. Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine. 73:1132-1134.
7. Masannat Y, Shenoy H, Speirs V, Hanby A and Horgan K (2006). Review article: properties and characteristics of the dyes injected to assist axillary sentinel node localization in breast surgery. European Journal of Surgical Oncology. 32(4):381-4
1- De-Gabriele S, Macmillan MT, Nomikos A, Tahhan M, Masannat Y, Depasquale I, Miller I and Watson HG (2017). Spontaneous bilateral breast haemorrhagic necrosis. Br J Haematology. Feb;176(4):666-668
2- Masannat Y, Whitehead S, Hawley I, Apthorp L and Shah E (2010). Pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia: a case report. Case Report Med. 2010:549643
Masannat Y, Sumrien H and Sharaiha Y (2010). Primary leiomyosarcoma of the male breast: a case report. Case Report Med. 2010:534102.3-
3- Masannat Y, Peter M, Turton P, Shaaban A (2010). Case report of bilateral inflammatory breast cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care. 19(4):558-60
4- Masannat Y, Al-Naser S, Al-Tal Y, Al-Koteesh J and Sharaf U (2008). Rare complication of a common operation: hepatic artery pseudo aneurysm following cholecystectomy, report of a case. Irish Journal of Medical Sciences. 177(4):397-8.
5- Masannat Y, Achuthan R, Munot K, Merchant W, Meaney J, McMahon M, Horgan K (2007). Solitary subcutaneous metastatic deposit from hepatocellular carcinoma. New Zealand Medical Journal 30;120(1266):U2837.
6- Masannat Y, Caplin S and Brown T (2006). A rare complication of a common disease: Bouveret syndrome, report of a case. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 12(16):2620-2621.
7- Masannat Y, Al-Shakarchi I, Duane P and Brown T (2005). Clinical Observation: Cholecystoenteric fistula on ERCP. Gastrointestinal Nursing. 3(9):7.
8- Al-Koteesh J, Masannat Y, James N & Sharaf U (2005). Chronic contained rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysm presenting with longstanding back pain. Scottish Medical Journal. 50(3):122-123
9- Al-Koteesh J A, Al-Momani H, Masannat Y A and Evans H J R (2004). A case report of polysplenia with renal cell carcinoma. European Journal of Radiology Extra. 52: 79-83
10- Masannat Y, Al-Koteesh J, Sharaf U and Evans H (2004). Case report of IVC Leiomyosarcoma presenting as left sided varicocele. Phlebology. 19(2): 92-94